Saturday, December 22, 2007

I'm not there - Todd Haynes

I just noticed that I've been seeing more than a couple of films about musicians lately. Starting with Julie Taymor's Across the Universe, and Anton Corbjin's Control...

I enjoyed I'm not there... but I think it was about moments. All the times where Cate Blanchett and Christian Bale did Dylan were my favorite. Also, I prefer Sienna Miller as Edie Sedwick instead of Michelle Williams as "Coco". Another rant; I dunno why people love Chalotte Gainsbourg so much! She's always her same malnourished suffering self... As for Heath Ledger, the Marcus Carl Franklin, the Wishow dude and Richard Gere... allow me to say that I didn't get it.

I loved that Halloween town! I Felt it was very Jarmush. And hey, Haynes aced with the music choices (out of Dylan's ample repertoire) Check out the "Visions of Johanna" sequence... I think its dreamy.

P.S. The October issue of Film Comment has this great essay by Larry Gross (The Lives of Others: Todd Haynes's Anti-Biopic I'M Not There is about "Bob Dylan" not Bob Dylan)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home