Tuesday, January 04, 2005

New Year

During 2004, lots of things happened to me. Some were good, some were bad.

1. In January I knew I had gotten the Fulbright Scholarship, but I still didn't know where I was going to go. I would tell everyone that I was going to New York (without being certain).

2. February was a bundle of mixed feelings. I broke up with a person that should have being only my friend and went back with the person with was more than my friend. I also went to the Travis concert at Mexico City, a memorable concert, tears dropped when they sang The Humpty Dumpty song.

3. The month of March started when I decided to share my life and my house with this person. Things at work were not going well anymore, I was not motivated. Things were easy, there was no challenge.

4. April didn't fool me! Those were hard times for us. Economy in Mexico made it's way through my life, but I still made everything I used to do when I was at my dad's place. It was just sad to know that my Dad had to go to work as an employee again, instead of retiring at 56, he started over again. That was so brave, he left his ego behind.

5. May, my mother and I became closer. She is one of my role models. Amazing woman! So wise and stable. During Semana Santa we had fun in the city and the countryside. A jeep, beers, friends, laughs... we even got stuck in the river.

6. To New York it is, I got accepted to The New School! My dreams would soon come true, again. I quit my job, and started preparing the trip. I thought that he was coming with me, but somehow everything fell out from my hands, instead of being closer, we grew apart. I am so self centered that I didn't stop to think about what was going down with my relationship.

7. July and my b-day party. It was a huge success. Everyone went. 200 people at my Dad's place. I was so happy, that I did not realize that someone was sad and putting up with my childish attitude. The last day of this month I sold all the stuff that was in my house... and it stayed there. I only took my clothes and my books. Everything else stayed there. I felt like crying, I did cry in secret. It took a lot of effort to get the place together and make it confortable and homey for me, that by the time I was settled, I had to leave it behind.Mabey I should stick to buddhism and be more detached.

8. A new life, new friends, new setting: Philadelphia, U Penn. I took a preacademic course and met many interesting people from all over the world. Two of them became my roomates and best friends, Andres and Zoe. We struggled together. every weekend we had to go to New York and check out apartments. Until we finally found one in Queens, with a cranky old Greek landlord. The Passerby, and the enemy.

9. September and school started. Mom came to visit and everything was great. I got pampered! I met Ana and all the colombian gang. I also met other people that would call me from time to time. I started going out in the city. Exciting, Enriching, museums, picnics at Central Park, saturday mornings at Williamsburg, Union Square and Virgin Records, Sunshine theatres. Lots of arty movies. Barra Libre, the chilango gang, and cultural attaches.

10. October, midterms, Halloween and his visit. I was exicted, I felt great. I thought everything was fine. Still, my time was not his and so, things wore off. Met Marcela and Albert Hammond Jr. Hahahahaha (liza piratona).

11. November school was kinda dissappointing, I got a new job at DuArt. What a great place to start! I am only a runner, but I am learning a lot.

12. December last weeks of school. Plans for next year. Where a door closes another opens and many new things happen. It is getting cold, leaves are falling. Nostalgic feelings, I crave machacado con huevo and tacos de trompo... I go home for ten days and see Esteban, Brenda, Ale, Mom, Dad, my brother Hussam and my awsome grandmother.

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY OF 2004, I WISH THAT TIME WOULD FREEZE, BUT AT THE SAME TIME, I AM GLAD THAT IT IS PASSING SO FAST.

I will promise myself to give the best of me during 2005
(and here's when I break down and cry while listen to The Flaming Lips sitting down on my desk in front of the balcony at my apartment in Queens, N.Y. )

I am a citizen of this world, it is not easy, but here I am. I hope that all of you remember me wherever it is that you are. Cause I am here and I am not going to give up.

I hope you do the same too! It's so good to be alive...

WELCOME 2005





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home