Sunday, September 12, 2004

The New York Life

There is no such thing as The New York life. I arrived three weeks ago and I've been thru a series of burocratic paperwork to get settled. Before coming here, my idea of NY was a beautiful image of all the Woody Allen films mixed with Sex and the city. Unfortunateley I didn't remember movies like Serpico and French Connection...

I read in the New York magazzine that anybody that is somebody lives in New York City, but I have to disagree with Norman Mailers words. I was nobody until I got a Social Security Number and a bank account. I was nobody until I got a permanent address. But who is a permanent citizen or resident here? Everybody is from somewhere else and will go somewhere else in a couple of years or so. This makes New York a real Salad Bowl.

Since I am a student, I can't afford yet the glamorous NY life, but that does not mean that I have not enjoyed myself here. Having picnics in Central Park are for free. Watching fashion victims and fashionistas everyday is inevitable. I can also make up great stories just by observing someone in the subway. Plus I have a great workout routine everyday beacause I walk a lot.


I don't miss home, but I miss what I was back home. Here I am anonymous. Is it good or bad? No one gives a shit if I don't shave my legs and wear a skirt, or if I have pimples on my face and I didn't wear make up, no one cares if my clothes arent combined or if I am tired or sad or happy or loneley or hungry. I have no one to report to, and no one needs to report to me. I can only think about myself and take care of myself. Its all about me, its about individualism, this city is not easy but all I can say is NO PAIN, NO GAIN.

Will I be somebody in NYC?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home