Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It is strange... but interesting.


A couple of weeks ago Morissey gave a show in my hometown for the first time. Many people I know went to see him. During those moments, I remembered a film a have not yet seen, but very much wish to. It's called Is It Really So Strange? and it's directed by William E. Jones.

What's strange about it?
Well, it is a documentary about a Morrissey fan base among an East L.A. Hispanic community.

This is a comment someone posted on imdb:
William E. Jones, a Smiths fan, made a documentary about some kind of a phenomenon that occurred in LA, or somewhere in southern California (I'm not sure about the exact location): it seems that twenty years after The Smiths broke up, there's this huge fan community there, and they're mostly Hispanic. I went to see this one at a festival, 'cause I thought it would be really interesting... Like, sociologically or so. Why would this people relate to Morrissey, an Irish man, living in England, and to his lyrics about teenage angst, despair and frustration, lyrics full of sexual ambiguity and so on. What could this man and this band mean to them? Well, at first, everything was great... There's this tribute band there, The Sweet and Tender Hooligans, and loads of people go to see their shows, as if they really were in a Smiths gig; a bunch of Hispanic people who are really enthusiastic about The Smiths, and that's okay, I'm a fan myself. Then it just got silly. The director started interviewing some of these fans, and it suddenly became all about their sick obsession. The way they asked Morrissey for autographs and tattooed them afterwards; the way they fought for Morrissey's shirt during his gigs; their opinion on Morrissey's sexuality or political views; how Morrissey helped them coming out to their moms... I can't really explain what happened there. "Sick people" is the most I can say without being offensive (and I sure did get offensive in the theater). Well, they made me laugh, that much is true... But I don't think that the director's goal was to make a comedy or fun of those people. So, if you want to see a bunch of sick Morrissey fans, go for it; but you won't get anything from this experience, besides, perhaps, a higher self-esteem.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating stuff. I would never have imagined such a thing. I must seek this film out!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home