Friday, April 07, 2006

New Directors/New Films

I didn't have the chance to see many of the 34 films of New Directors/New Films series at Film Society and Moma. I had been away for most of the series and the day I came back, I sacrificed the Man Push Cart (by Ramin Bahrani www.noruzfilms.com) screening for a combo plate at Zaytoons. Nevertheless, the next day I did attend to the closing party at Josephinas. What a wonderful evening! Genevieve Villaflor sure knows how to organize events. Brett and I hung out with my friend Javier Andrade (who directed Pia)

To make a long story short...
I did see:

PAVEE LACKEEN
/ Perry Ogden
IRELAND, 2005, 87 MIN

13 TZAMETI / Gela Babluani
FRANCE, 2005, 93 MIN

WILD TIGERS I HAVE KNOWN / Cam Archer
USA, 2006, 93 MIN

and my favorite was 13 Tzameti
An extraordinarily assured debut feature, 13 Tzameti won the top prize at Sundance. Owed money, and lacking any direction in life, Sébastien decides to take the place of a dead man on a mysterious mission. Sébastien doesn't know what the man did, but he does know that it was awfully lucrative. Thus begins his journey towards a contemporary vision of hell, a world in which anything, even one's life, is a commodity to be bought, sold, or wagered on. With several extraordinary scenes not for the faint-hearted, 13 Tzameti is less shocking for what it shows than for its portrait of the amoral world it so convincingly captures. Son of a major Georgian director, Gela Babluani is a talent to watch.
http://www.filmlinc.com/ndnf/program/films/13tzameti.html


Before going to the Walter Reade to catch these films, I had my first experience with an epileptic. While I was talking with my roommate Peter, he had a seizure. He fell on his back and hit his head on the wall-heater, twitching like a fish gasping for air. We didn't know what to do. I called Brett and he called Josh. We were all unsure, so Brett sat down and googled the word SEIZURE to get instructions on how to deal with it. Josh laid down on the couch and looked at the ceiling. Brett reported there was nothing we could do but put a pillow under his head... so he did and then opened up The Economist magazine. I turned back and kept on washing the dishes and Peter was still moving. Time passed by so bizarrely slowly.

Anyway, 13 Tzameti reminded me of the shorts that my french classmate had done over the past semesters. His name is Rafael Israel. Remember that one because I am pretty sure he will be showing his films soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home